Sustainable fashion has become an increasingly important topic in recent years, and with April being Earth Month, it’s the perfect time to talk about how fashion can be both stylish and eco-friendly. Sustainable fashion involves considering the environmental and social impact of clothing throughout its entire lifecycle. This includes using sustainable materials, ethical labor practices, and reducing waste.
Here are 5 Canadian sustainable fashion brands you need to know about:
1. Encircled: This Toronto-based brand creates sustainably-made, versatile clothing with a focus on capsule wardrobes and minimizing waste.
2. Frank and Oak: Founded in Montreal, Frank and Oak is committed to creating sustainable clothing and uses organic materials and recycling programs to reduce their environmental impact.
3. Mejuri: Not only does this jewelry brand use recycled materials, but they also partner with organizations to empower women and create positive social change.
4. Kotn: Based in Toronto, Kotn is dedicated to using sustainable materials for their clothing while also supporting Egyptian cotton farmers and their communities.
5. Less Is A’mor: This emerging lingerie brand uses sustainable materials OEKO-Tex certified.The certification tests the materials and components of the products for harmful substances, such as pesticides, heavy metals, and formaldehyde, at different stages of the production process. Oeko-Tex certified products are safe for humans and the environment, regardless of whether they are organic or not. Their production and supply chain are transparent and ethically produced in Toronto, Canada and Latvia, Europe. Less Is A'mor creates comfortable and stylish lingerie that are good for both you and the planet.
Sustainable fashion doesn’t have to mean sacrificing style or quality. These Canadian brands show that it's possible to create fashionable, high-quality clothes while still being kind to the environment. This Earth Month, why not consider adding some sustainable pieces to your wardrobe?